Cho-Oon Khong, chief political analyst for the Shell Strategy and Scenarios Team, presents findings from the New Lens Scenarios, Shell’s ongoing series of big-picture scenarios.
The Shell Distinguished Lecture Series is the Baker Institute’s flagship speakers program, reflecting the vision of our honorary chair, former U.S. Secretary of State James A. Baker, III, and Shell’s commitment to defining the role of statesmanship, integrity and bold leadership in meeting the challenges of the 21st century.
The ability of the Baker Institute to attract world leaders to the Rice campus, in combination with Shell’s generous support, has helped make the institute one of the nation’s most widely recognized and respected public policy think tanks. Inaugurated in 1995, the series has hosted distinguished guests including President Bill Clinton, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Nobel Peace Prize winner Nelson Mandela, King Abdullah II of Jordan, 66th U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and 74th U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson Jr.
The Shell Distinguished Lecture Series also occasionally participates in and supports other Baker Institute initiatives, including the Civic Scientist Lecture Series and program-specific events and keynotes.
- An Address by Secretary of State John Kerry
- U.S.-Iran Relations at a Crossroads
- Creating a Campus Culture Where Every STEM Student Graduates
- Reviving the U.S. Science, Engineering and Technology Enterprise
- Influenza, SARS, Ebola and the Next Pandemic: Perceptions in the Media and Public
- Shaping Sustainable Future Cities: Lessons from Shell’s New Lens Scenarios
- Leading in a Climate of Change
- World Energy Outlook 2013
- Seizing Africa's Opportunity: The Role of Effective Governance
- Rita Colwell on Oceans, Climate and Health: Cholera as a Model of Infectious Diseases in a Changing Environment
- The Gulf of Mexico: Exploring and Caring for the Ocean That Unites Three Countries
- Subra Suresh
- David Baltimore and Alice Huang
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Official Jane Lubchenco on Restoring Science to Its Rightful Place: Its Role in America's Future
- 66th U.S. Secretary of State Condolezza Rice Discusses "No Higher Honor: A Memoir of My Years in Washington"
- Jeffrey R. Immelt, Chairman and CEO of General Electric Company, Presents a Blueprint for Competitiveness
- "Haynesville: A Nation's Hunt for an Energy Future"
- A Pillar of Global Stability: His Royal Highness Prince Turki Al Faisal Al Sa'ud Discusses Saudi Arabia's Petroleum Policy
- "On the Brink" With 74th U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Henry M. Paulson
- Writer and Director Chris Paine Asks, How Many Lightbulbs Does it Take to Plug in an Electric Car?
- Journalist Dexter Filkins Shares Tales From the Front Lines
- The Global Energy Market: Comprehensive Strategies to Meet Geopolitical and Financial Risks
- Dealing with Contemporary Genocide: Lt. Gen. Roméo Dallaire
- Nuclear Nonproliferation Workshop: Policy Implications of Managing or Preventing Proliferation
- Vartan Gregorian, President of the Carnegie Corporation of New York: Islam is a Mosaic, Not a Monolith
- President Bill Clinton Speaks on Embracing Our Common Humanity: Meeting the Challenges of Global Interdependence in the 21st Century
- Shri Murli Deora, India's Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas, on India's Quest for Energy Security
- Karen P. Hughes, Undersecretary of Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs, Discusses the Role of Public Diplomacy
- Former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres on the Middle East and Israel
- His Royal Highness Prince Saud Al Faisal Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud on Saudi Arabia and the International Oil Market
- U.S. Sen. Joe Biden Speaks on Foreign Policy and the United States' Role in Nation Building
- Anchorman Tom Brokaw Looks at the World
- A Talk with The Honorable Rudolph W. Giuliani