In his newly published book, "To End the War on Drugs: Policymakers Edition," Dean Becker, a contributing expert in the institute's Drug Policy Program, has selected and and skillfully arranged segments from interviews he has conducted with a wide range of drug policy experts since 2000, together with his own insights to provide readers with a clear and compelling account of the myriad failures of the War on Drugs and sensible guidelines for moving beyond it. Becker has interviewed more than 1000 people for his Drug Truth Network programs that originate on Houston’s KPFT and are carried by more than 70 stations throughout the country. Recordings and transcripts of the programs are archived on the institute’s website.
On July 18, 2014, Dean Becker held a press conference in a U.S. House of Representatives hearing room to introduce the book, which was distributed to every member of Congress, President Obama and members of his cabinet, the justices of the U.S. Supreme Court, and the governors of all 50 states, with the assistance of the Baker Institute, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP), and Students for Sensible Drug Policy.
View the videos from the press conference, including comments from leading drug policy reformers, below:
- Neill Franklin, Director, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP)
- U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke
- Bill Piper, Director of National Affairs, Drug Policy Alliance
- Eric Sterling, President, Criminal Justice Policy Foundation
- Carl Veley, Former President, Drug Policy Forum of Texas
- Jake Agliata, Regional Outlook Coordinator, Students For Sensible Drug Policy
- Norm Stamper, Former Police Chief of Seattle
- Howard Wooldridge, Founding Member, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP)
- David Borden, Editor, Drug War Chronicle
- Radley Balko, Columnist, The Washington Post
- Dean Becker, Author, "To End the War on Drugs"