Trade and Economic Integration
Trade is central to the economies of Mexico and the United States, and is the foundation for the integration of manufacturing chains across North America. The Center for the United States and Mexico examines trade patterns, the impact of other trade blocs on the economic relationship, the regional and global institutional structures that shape binational trade, and new opportunities for comparative trade advantages within the region. Through its research, the center aims to improve the welfare derived from commercial exchanges for the benefit of both countries.
This project will critically examine the U.S.-Mexico relationship, applying strategic foresight methods to identify the variables that will likely impact the future health of the binational relationship, project the possible outcomes of the relationship under the current political climate, and examine the broader challenges that the U.S. and Mexico will face in the coming decades.
- Will the North American Auto Industry Survive Proposed U.S. Electric Vehicle Subsidies?
- Will Mexico’s Auto Industry Survive the USMCA and AMLO?
- The Coming Confrontation: Mexico and The U.S. on a Collision Course on Trade
- International Trade Issues: Challenges and Opportunities for the Biden Administration
- North America’s Shifting Supply Chains: The USMCA, Covid-19, and the U.S.-China Trade War
- The USMCA's Future in Context
- Important New Features in the USMCA
- The USMCA: Carryover Provisions from NAFTA
- The USMCA: Updating NAFTA by Drawing on the Trans-Pacific Partnership
- USMCA Provisions on Intellectual Property, Services, and Digital Trade
- Agriculture and Textiles in the USMCA
- How the USMCA Affects Mexico's Energy Policy
- Environment, Labor under USMCA
- Dispute Settlement under the USMCA
- U.S.-Mexico Trade under AMLO
- Customs and Tariff Rules in the USMCA
- NADB CAIP: History and Lessons Learned
- Overview of the USMCA
- U.S. Needs Swift Action on USMCA
- Perspectives on NAFTA
- Can the President Legally Withdraw from NAFTA?
- The U.S.-Mexico Trade Deal
- U.S.-Mexico Relations Benefit Texas
- Addressing Dispute Resolution Institutions in a NAFTA Renegotiation
- NAFTA Negotiations: What's In It For The U.S.-Mexico Energy Trade?
- NAFTA Renegotiations: Constraints and Likely Outcome
- Was NAFTA Good for the United States?
- NAFTA Does Not Matter as Much as You Think (But Renegotiation Matters a Lot)
- Transnational Commerce and Labor Flows
- Low Oil Prices Mean Trouble for Mexican Government’s Finances
- Why is the Peso’s Value Declining?
- Mexican Microcredit: A Casualty of Neoliberalism?
- The Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement: The Stakes for Mexico and the United States
- Testimony by Tony Payan before the Texas House Committee on International Trade and Intergovernmental Affairs - April 2017
- Testimony by Tony Payan before the Texas House Committee on International Trade and Intergovernmental Affairs -February 2015
- The Growth of Venture Capital and Entrepreneurship in Mexico
- Ratifying the USMCA
- The U.S.-Mexico Border: Destinies Intertwined
- The Future of North American Trade
- Mexico's Economic Relation with East Asia
- NAFTA Renegotiations
- Energy Trade between US and Mexico
- Webinar: The Impact of the China Trade War on the USMCA
- Webinar: Cross-Border Customs Issues in USMCA Implementation After Five Months
- Webinar: Improving the Environment Under the USMCA
- Webinar: Assessing the Impact of the USMCA's New Rules on the Auto Sector
- Webinar: Investment Protection Under the New NAFTA: Problems and Prospects
- Webinar: A Conversation on Ratifying and Implementing the USMCA: A View from Congress
- Webinar: Mexico's Chnaging Business and Regulatory Environment in the USMCA Era
- Webinar: USMCA's Entry Into Force: Prospects and Challenges for North American Trade
- Webinar: The Effect of the Coronavirus Pandemic on the North American Supply Chain
- Webinar: The Impact of the Coronavirus Pandemic on United States-Mexico Trade
- The USMCA and the Future of Trade in North America
- Next Steps for the USMCA: A Conversation with The Honorable Kevin Brady
- The U.S.-Mexico Border: Destinies Intertwined
- North American Trade: Issues and Challenges for the Next Decade
- Trade Between Asia and Latin America: What's Next?
- The NAFTA Negotiations: Where Canada Stands Now
- The U.S. Role in Latin America: A Conversation with The Honorable Joaquín Castro
- McLarty Lecture Series: A Conversation with The Honorable Robert Zoellick
- Uncertain Partners: U.S.-Mexico Relations Under the Trump Administration
- Challenges for U.S.-Mexico Relations
- Mexico's Economic Outlook
- Mexico in 2016: What’s at Stake?
- McLarty Lecture Series: A Conversation with His Excellency Luis Videgaray Caso
- Prospects for U.S.-Mexico Trade
- NAFTA After 20 Years