Steven W. Lewis
Title: C.V. Starr Transnational China Fellow | Jesse Jones Leadership Center Summer Intern Program Coordinator
Office Phone: (713) 348-5832
By using unique surveys of advertisements in public spaces of cities around the world,I am examining the potential for shared public service ads in U.S. and Chinese cities. These ads could address climate change, the overuse of antibiotics, and additional global problems. This project is part of the development of the Rice Ephemera Archive — a collaboration between the Baker Institute Transnational China Project, the Chao Center for Asian Studies and the Fondren Center for Digital Scholarship. In addition, I am working on several joint projects. Center for Energy Studies senior director Ken Medlock and I are studying the future of natural gas in China, focusing on the political and economic drivers behind the development of shale gas in different localities. I am also working with student researchers to explore changes in the centralization of state media in recent years, and its relationship to political reform efforts in China, with the advice and support of Chinese media fellow Aynne Kokas. Working with science and technology fellow Kirstin Matthews and Baker Institute Rice scholar Elaine Howard Ecklund, I am part of National Science Foundation and Templeton Foundation-funded studies of ethics and values of scientists in China and other countries, focusing on the impact of values on international scientific collaboration. Finally, I am working with the Shanghai Institutes for International Studies and the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations to develop and maintain exchange programs and joint research.
Steven W. Lewis, Ph.D., is the C.V. Starr Transnational China Fellow and faculty advisor for the Jesse Jones Leadership Center Summer in D.C. Policy Research Internship Program. He is also a professor in the practice and associate director of the Chao Center for Asian Studies, which he helped found in 2008. His research explores the growth of a transnational Chinese middle class; the influence of advertisements in new public spaces in Chinese cities; the development of privatization experiments in China’s localities; and the reform of China’s energy policies, national oil companies and international energy relations. Through the Transnational China Project, Lewis has organized research conferences with the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences. He also has worked with the Energy Forum as the organizing researcher for the Northeast Asia Energy Cooperation Workshops, the Coastal Cities Summit surveys and U.S.-China-Middle East energy relations conferences.
Lewis has also been advisor to the Science Collaboration Across Borders initiative and served as the chief liaison between the Baker Institute, the Shanghai Institutes for International Studies and the China Institute for Contemporary International Relations. He is co-director of the Rice Ephemera Archive project of Fondren Library’s Center for Digital Scholarship, supported by the Henry Luce Foundation. He has conducted research and given briefings for The National Bureau of Asian Research; Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; the Sichuan Petroleum Administration; and the Korean Economic Institute, among others. Lewis is an associate fellow of Asia Society International, an editorial board member of Asia Policy and an academic advisor to the U.S.-China Working Group of the U.S. House of Representatives.
He received his doctorate in political science from Washington University in St. Louis.
my research and publications
- 05/23/2015 - Narratives of Research Integrity among Biologists and Physicists in the UK and India
- 05/22/2014 - Impact of Russia-China Gas Deal
- 02/03/2020 - Secularity and science
- 02/07/2017 - A Quick Introduction to American LGBTQ Organizations
- 01/30/2017 - Women physicists in China: Why so few?
- 01/20/2017 - Religion among international scientists
- 03/20/2017 - Preparing for new leaders in China
- 11/21/2016 - Energy Security & the South China Sea
- 03/07/2015 - Power Moves: The China-Russia Energy Alliance's Unspoken Humanitarian Agenda
- 07/31/2014 - Reforming citizenship in China
- 01/16/2014 - Showdown looming between India and China
- 03/19/2017 - Guanxi & Science Ethics: A Double-Edged Sword
- 03/28/2017 - The China-US-Russia Relationship
- 04/01/1999 - Social, Cultural, and Religious Factors Influencing China's Energy Supply
- 04/01/1999 - Privatizing China's State-Owned Oil Companies
- 05/01/2000 - Cultural Security Perspectives In Northeast Asia and Their Impact On Energy Cooperation
- 03/31/2002 - Beijing's Oil Diplomacy
- 09/01/2002 - China's Oil Diplomacy and Relations with the Middle East
- 03/01/2004 - Privatization Best Practices and Comparisons: Case Study Petrobras
- 05/01/2004 - LNG exports from Arun to Japan
- 05/26/2004 - Liquefied Natural Gas From Indonesia: The Arun Project
- 09/01/2004 - The Future of Energy Security and Energy Policy in Northeast Asia: Cooperation Among China, Japan, and the United States
- 07/17/2005 - Energy Security: Implications for U.S.-China-Middle East Relations
- 07/18/2005 - Energy Security in Northeast Asia: The Potential for Cooperation Among the Major Energy Consuming Economies of China, Japan and the United States
- 05/06/2008 - China and Energy Security in Asia
- 08/22/2008 - Forgetting the Olympics
- 08/17/2009 - Baker Institute Policy Report 42: Science Collaboration Across Borders
- 09/28/2009 - Welcome to the Jungle: China and Taiwan
- 11/11/2011 - The Potential for International and Transnational Public Service Advertising in Public Spaces in American and Chinese Global Cities: Conclusions From a 2010 Survey of Advertisements in Subways in Beijing, New York, Shanghai and Washington, D.C.
- 11/30/2011 - Carbon Management in China: The Effects of Decentralization and Privatization
- 09/07/2012 - Mixed message of global advertising
- 09/26/2012 - Time to Take a Deep Breath in East Asia
- 03/08/2013 - U.S.-China Relations: Energy and Environmental Policy
- 04/01/2013 - The Politics of Reform in China
- 04/04/2013 - China's Maritime Disputes
- 03/04/2015 - Natural Gas in the People's Republic of China
- 06/09/2020 - International scientific collaborative activities and barriers to them in eight societies