Title: Nonresident Fellow, Drug Policy
Office Phone: (512) 541-3601
Lisa Pittman is a nonresident fellow of the Drug Policy Program and co-chair of the Cannabis Business Law practice of Coats Rose, P.C. She is also chair-elect of the American Bar Association’s Cannabis Law & Policy Committee, which was spurred by the Cannabis Law Continuing Legal Education Program she presented at its annual meeting in 2017. In 2014, moved by the testimony of mothers of children with epilepsy in support of the Texas Compassionate Use Act, Pittman began learning about the use of cannabis as medicine, and discovered this was a movement already in motion throughout the country. She left her litigation practice to pursue cannabis reform in Texas and spent two years in Colorado to learn the issues in a state where the plant is not criminalized. She assisted in the passage of the 2019 Texas Hemp Act and was appointed to the Texas Department of Agriculture Industrial Hemp Advisory Council. Pittman teaches cannabis law to many professional organizations throughout the country and has been published numerous times by the American Bar Association and Austin Lawyer. Her work has earned her the title “The First Lady of Texas Cannabis Law.” She regularly provides updates on the developments in cannabis law in Texas and at the federal level on LinkedIn.
Pittman is a graduate of the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Houston Law Center. She is licensed in all state and federal courts of Texas and Colorado.
my research and publications
- 07/28/2020 - The Cannabis Law & Policy Committee
- 05/01/2019 - Recent Developments in Business Litigation
- 02/01/2020 - New Frontiers: Hemp Law & Litigation
- 02/01/2020 - New Laws in Texas for Hemp
- 12/11/2018 - The Hemp Revolution Will Not be Televised ... Yet
- 12/18/2019 - Hemp CBD: What Seniors Should Know
- 04/24/2019 - Cannabis Law and Policy Task Force: Serving a Pioneering Industry