Francisco J. Monaldi
Title: Fellow in Latin American Energy Policy
Office Phone: (713) 348-2476
Francisco J. Monaldi, Ph.D., is the fellow in Latin American energy policy at the Center for Energy Studies, the Mexico Center and the Latin America Initiative at the Baker Institute and a lecturer in energy economics at Rice University. He is a nonresident fellow at the Center on Global Energy Policy at Columbia University and a senior faculty associate at the School of Government at the Tecnológico de Monterrey in Mexico.
Monaldi is also the founding director and a professor at the Center for Energy and the Environment at IESA in Venezuela. From 2013 to 2016, he was a visiting professor of energy policy at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, an associate of the Geopolitics of Energy Project and the Roy Family Fellow at the Environment and Natural Resources Program at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. From 2012 to 2013, he was the Robert F. Kennedy Visiting Professor in Latin American Studies at Harvard University. Between 2013 and 2014, he was an adjunct professor of international energy policy at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. From 2008 to 2009, he was a visiting professor of the political economy of oil at Stanford University and a national fellow at the Hoover Institution. He has been a visiting lecturer at the Graduate Institute in Geneva, the Universidad de los Andes in Bogotá and Universidad ESAN in Lima.
Between 2002 and 2012 Monaldi was an associate professor of political economy at Universidad Católica Andrés Bello in Caracas. He is a leading scholar on the politics and economics of the oil industry and oil wealth management in Latin America and developing countries. He has consulted with numerous international institutions, governments and companies, including The World Bank, International Monetary Fund, Inter-American Development Bank, CAF Development Bank of Latin America, PDVSA, Shell, Total, Statoil, IHS, Wood Mackenzie, Ministry of Petroleum of Saudi Arabia, the governments of Kazakhstan and Albania, Natural Resource Governance Institute, Stanford Program on Energy and Sustainable Development, Eurasia Group and Medley Global Advisors.
Monaldi is on the board of directors of Mercantil, Venezuela’s leading financial group, and other Venezuelan companies and institutions. He has authored numerous academic publications, including "Institutional Collapse," in Venezuela before Chavez: Anatomy of an Economic Collapse, R. Hausmann and F. Rodriguez, eds. (Penn State University Press, 2014); "Oil Fueled Centralism," in Oil and Gas in Federal Systems, G. Anderson, ed. (Oxford University Press, 2012); and "The Political Economy of Oil Contract Renegotiation in Venezuela," in The Natural Resources Trap: Private Investment without Public Commitment, W. Hogan and F. Struzenegger, eds. (MIT Press, 2010). He holds a Ph.D. in political science (political economy) from Stanford University, an M.A. in international and development economics from Yale University and a B.A. in economics from Universidad Católica Andrés Bello.
my research and publications
- 09/05/2017 - Energy and Economic Diversification Policy Roundtable
- 02/28/2018 - Code Red: Venezuela's Oil and Debt Crises
- 02/28/2018 - Apocalypse Now: Venezuela, Oil and Reconstruction
- 01/24/2018 - Venezuela Oil Output Plummets
- 08/23/2017 - Possible U.S. Sanctions on Venezuela
- 08/09/2017 - Venezuela: Options for U.S. sanctions
- 08/10/2017 - Understanding Venezuela's discredited election
- 07/24/2017 - Venezuela, Oil and Reconstruction
- 07/21/2017 - Could Venezuela’s Oil Sector Survive U.S. Sanctions?
- 06/15/2017 - Reviving Venezuela's oil industry
- 02/04/2014 - Oil and Politics in Venezuela
- 02/28/2018 - Is the Petro Backed by Oil Reserves?
- 01/24/2017 - State-owned oil in Mexico & Latin Am.
- 01/20/2017 - Venezuela’s Oil Industry: Managing the Collapse but Increasing Opportunities
- 12/05/2016 - U.S. Policy Toward the Hydrocarbon Industry in Latin America
- 11/18/2016 - PDVSA: Weathering the collapse
- 10/03/2016 - Colombians say 'no' to FARC deal
- 09/13/2016 - Latin America's energy future
- 09/10/2015 - The Impact of the Decline in Oil Prices on the Economics, Politics and Oil Industry of Venezuela
- 09/14/2015 - First Take: Latin America's Oil and Gas
- 09/03/2014 - Is Resource Nationalism Fading in Latin America? The Case of the Oil Industry
- 01/18/2006 - Political Institutions, Policymaking Processes, and Policy Outcomes in Venezuela
- 03/20/2008 - Análisis institucional de la gobernabilidad y contratación en el sector petrolero: casos de la región andina
- 11/18/2008 - The Political Economy of Oil Production in Latin America
- 12/18/2009 - The Political Economy of Oil Contract Renegotiation in Venezuela
- 07/20/2010 - La Economía Política del Petróleo y el Gas en América Latina
- 11/25/2010 - Decentralizing Power in Latin America: The Role of the Governors in the National Arena
- 06/20/2012 - La Industria Petrolera Venezolana: una nueva oportunidad histórica
- 09/30/2012 - Direct distribution of oil revenues in Venezuela: A viable alternative?
- 07/26/2013 - Exploiting Latin America’s oil potential hampered by politics
- 01/01/2014 - The Mining Boom in Latin America: Rents, Development and Democracy
- 03/13/2018 - Venezuela's Oil Industry Collapses