Erika De La Garza
Title: Program Director, Latin America Initiative
Office Phone: (713) 348-2675
Office Fax: 713.348.5993
Erika de la Garza is the program director of the Latin America Initiative at the Baker Institute. Her chief areas of interest include U.S.-Latin America relations; emerging leadership; coalition building between public, private and civil society actors; and trade and business development in Latin America.
She oversees research on current events facing the region, especially relating to economic development, politics and institution building. She also organizes lectures and other programs to increase awareness about Latin America and to foster a better understanding between the countries of this hemisphere. Prior to joining the institute, she worked for several years encouraging foreign direct investment in Costa Rica, her home country.
She holds a master’s degree in international affairs from Columbia University in New York and a master’s degree in diplomacy from the University of Costa Rica.
my research and publications
- 02/04/2014 - Costa Rica’s search for a new president
- 09/21/2013 - LAI — Previous Events
- 07/15/2013 - Conference Report -- Immigration Reform: A System for the 21st Century
- 06/01/2013 - Americas Project
- 07/01/2013 - Vecinos Lecture Series
- 04/09/2013 - Immigration Reform: A System for the 21st Century
- 02/25/2013 - The New Politics of Mexico and the United States
- 12/12/2012 - Baker Institute Conference Report -- Americas Project 2012: Building Global Green Economies
- 09/22/2008 - Americas Project Newsletter - Verano 2008 - Economías Pequeñas: Retos, Oportunidades y Sostenibilidad
- 09/18/2008 - Americas Project Newsletter - Summer 2008 - Small Economies: Challenges, Opportunities and Sustainability
- 01/16/2007 - Americas Project Newsletter - Brazil (English) December 2006
- 05/15/2006 - Americas Project Newsletter - Chile (Español) September 2006
- 05/15/2006 - Americas Project Newsletter - Chile (English) September 2006
- 09/28/2005 - Americas Project Newsletter - Argentina (English) July 2006
- 02/18/2015 - A deadly political scandal in Argentina
- 12/19/2014 - Obama’s new Cuba policy: Catching up to Latin America
- 07/31/2014 - Central America's Unaccompanied Minors
- 07/29/2015 - Children at the Border
- 09/03/2015 - Guatemala's shot at redemption
- 02/24/2016 - Renewed U.S.-Cuba ties & immigration
- 02/11/2016 - Honduras: A bold voice is silenced
- 03/23/2016 - Obama in Cuba: Un Nuevo Día?
- 09/07/2016 - Brazil after Dilma: Temer’s turn
- 09/15/2016 - Venezuela in chaos
- 11/08/2016 - In Nicaragua, another dynasty?
- 11/28/2016 - Fidel Castro, hero or tyrant?
- 06/30/2017 - Venezuela's Failing Democracy
- 12/01/2017 - A scandal tarnishes Costa Rica's reputation
- 01/25/2018 - In Peru, a political crisis