David R. Brockman
Title: Nonresident Scholar
Office Phone: (817) 536-2358
David R. Brockman, Ph.D., is a nonresident scholar for the Baker Institute’s Religion and Public Policy Program. He is also an adjunct professor at both Texas Christian University and Southern Methodist University, where he teaches various courses in religion and religious studies.
From 2010 to 2012, Brockman served as the project director for the World Conference of Associations of Theological Institutions. He is the author several books, including “Dialectical Democracy through Christian Thought: Individualism, Relationalism, and American Politics” (Palgrave-Macmillan, 2013) and “No Longer the Same: Religious Others and the Liberation of Christian Theology” (Palgrave-Macmillan, 2011). His forthcoming publication, “Educating For Pluralism, or Against It? Lessons from Texas and Quebec on Teaching Religion in Public Schools,” will appear in Religion & Education.
Brockman holds a Ph.D. in religious studies from Southern Methodist University. He received a Master of Theological Studies degree from the Brite Divinity School at Texas Christian University and his bachelor’s degree in English and education from the University of Texas at Arlington.
my research and publications
- 04/02/2020 - New Study of Christian Nationalism in Texas Should be a Warning for the Whole Country
- 03/05/2020 - Christian Americanism in Texas Politics
- 07/24/2019 - Atheist seminar draws full crowd
- 06/12/2019 - Tx Lege: Few Wins for Christian Right
- 04/18/2019 - Texas Republicans’ Push for a Religious ‘License to Discriminate’ is Depressingly Familiar
- 04/04/2019 - Islam, Politics and a TX controversy
- 11/19/2018 - 'Christian Americanist' Bias Remains in TX Curriculum
- 08/16/2018 - A disconnect between the gospel and politics
- 06/22/2018 - TX Politics and a Rising Secular Tide
- 03/29/2018 - The Little-Known Theology Behind White Evangelical Support of Donald Trump
- 03/02/2018 - Courting the Christian Fringe in TX GOP Primaries
- 10/27/2017 - A Noted Evangelist Disavows Trump?
- 08/10/2017 - Christian Rule in the TX legislature
- 06/29/2017 - New curbs on textbook content?
- 05/23/2017 - A 'new moral minority'?
- 02/20/2017 - 'Sermon Safeguard' Bill: A Symbol
- 01/05/2017 - GOP Legislators Take Aim at Church-State Separation
- 12/14/2016 - Can Texas Muslims Trump Islamophobia?
- 01/13/2016 - Pistol-Packin’ Christians
- 04/13/2016 - How Texas Politicians Bungle the Bible
- 08/17/2016 - When Very Public Christians Go Astray
- 07/15/2016 - Would Jesus Say Black Lives Matter?
- 05/13/2016 - Church and State Stay Cozy at Texas GOP Convention
- 11/17/2015 - Raising foot soldiers for an imaginary holy war
- 10/07/2016 - Here’s the Fringe Theology Kids are Learning in Texas Schools
- 10/21/2016 - Teaching Religion in Texas Public Schools
- 06/18/2016 - The Gospel According to Texas Democrats
- 06/02/2016 - An evangelical sect evolves into a political force