Mexico ranks poorly in global rule of law indices, scoring near the bottom on issues such as corruption, transparency, judicial system effectiveness and human and due process rights. This is a major concern for U.S.-Mexico relations because it hinders cooperation on shared issues such as law enforcement, immigration and drug trafficking continues unabated. The Mexico Center seeks to leverage the current cooperative efforts between the two countries while proposing policy alternatives for a more effective justice system and improvements to the rule of law in Mexico.
Ongoing Research Projects
This project studies the historical fragmentation of drug trafficking organizations in Mexico and the consequences it brought to the country.
This project focuses on the challenges Mexico faces in implementing energy reforms under the rule of law. It analytically and critically examines some of the key legal aspects of Mexico's new energy sector by drawing on the knowledge of scholars and experts from institutions in the U.S. and Mexico.
- The Three U.S.-Mexico Border Wars
- The right to bear arms in Mexico: Mexican senator invokes the U.S. Second Amendment
- Globalization and Organized Crime: Challenges for International Cooperation
- Mexican Armed Forces and Security in Mexico
- Understanding El Chapo’s Transfer to Juarez Prison
- Arrest of Mexican Kingpin “El Chapo” Won’t Slow Texas Drug Trade
- What Recapturing ‘El Chapo’ Means for U.S.-Mexico Relations
- El Chapo Recaptured: Effect on the Peña Administration
- El Chapo Recaptured: Implications for the Sinaloa Cartel
- El Chapo Recaptured: The Kingpin Strategy
- Dead Man Walking – The Inevitable Fate of ‘El Chapo’ Guzman
- Violence as an Epidemic: Examining Organized Crime-Related Homicides in the U.S.-Mexico Border from a Public Health Perspective
- The Coproduction of Public Safety and Organized Crime in Mexico
- A Tunnel Rat Burrows Out of a Mexican Maximum-Security Prison
- El Chapo Escapes Predictions
- Why the U.S. Needs to Help Mexico Fight Corruption
- Ciudad Juárez: Perfect Storm on U.S.-Mexico Border
- Land Ownership and Use Under Mexico’s Energy Reform
- Tapping Mexico’s Shale Gas Resources – Future Promise and Practical Challenges
- Vigilantism in Mexico: A New Phase in Mexico’s Security Crisis
- Impunity, Corruption and the Rule of Law in Mexico
- Mexico in 2016: What’s at Stake?
- Mexico’s Rule of Law and Mexico’s Energy Reform