About the Baker Institute
- Sign up for our biweekly email newsletter.
- Follow the Baker Institute on Twitter (@BakerInstitute).
- Like the Baker Institute on Facebook.
- Join the Baker Institute LinkedIn group.
- For up-to-date commentary from our fellows, scholars and student interns, visit the Baker Institute Blog.
Since its inception in 1993, the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy has established itself as one of the premier nonpartisan public policy think tanks in the country. The institute ranks 21st among U.S. think tanks and 13th among university-affiliated think tanks worldwide, according to a 2012 study by the University of Pennsylvania's Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program. The institute was also highly ranked No. 6 among energy and resource policy think tanks.
As an integral part of Rice University, one of the nation’s most distinguished institutions of higher education, the Baker Institute has a strong track record of achievement. Located in Houston, Texas, the nation’s fourth-largest city and the energy capital of the United States, as well as a dynamic international business and cultural center, the Baker Institute brings a unique perspective to some of the most important public policy challenges of our time.
Key research programs include energy, health, conflict resolution, science and technology, tax and expenditure policy, and Latin America and Asia studies. The institute collaborates with experts from academia, government, the media, business, and nongovernmental and private organizations. In conjunction with its more than 20 programs, the institute attracts many domestic and foreign leaders who provide their views and insights on major issues. Speakers have included U.S. presidents and cabinet members, world leaders and heads of government, and numerous foreign dignitaries from around the globe.
To educate and engage the next generation of leaders, many Baker Institute fellows and scholars teach public policy classes. The institute also offers Rice undergraduates the opportunity to apply for competitive internships in Houston, Washington, D.C., and overseas. Graduate students frequently assist fellows and scholars with their research.
- Learn more about the Baker Institute’s honorary chair, former Secretary of State James A. Baker, III.
- Learn more about Baker Institute founding director Ambassador Edward P. Djerejian.
- Download the institute brochure.
- Download the 2012 Annual Report.
- Learn more about supporting the Baker Institute.
- Find answers to frequently asked questions.